Saturday, November 15, 2008

Final Reflection (Blog Post #7)

For this final post, return to your first post and review what you wrote. Has your understanding of the value of effective communications skills changed since that time? If so, in what way? If not, why not? How do you feel about the communication skills that you have developed in this module? Please reflect on what you have done, on your interactions and your overall learning.
















I remember attending a dinner fellowship and representatives from various organizations were given time at the mic to be sharing. We were running overtime but the representatives kept on talking and talking. I was asking an older friend, "Is it common for people to talk so long?" She simply commented, "As you grow older, you tend to carry more baggage and take longer to make your point."

This module helped me to see that keeping communication concise and effective is not something that is unattainable. In fact it should be our goal since we communicate not for the sake of showing off our knowledge but to pass on information to our audience. After reviewing my first post, my understanding of the value effective communication skills did not change but only deepened.
Whether it is learning minimally from a poorly delivered lecture, failing to coordinate an event properly due to miscommunication, or suffering from a strained relationship due to misunderstandings, it is not difficult to identify with these problems and the stress that came along with it!
The occurrence of these problems would be greatly reduced if only effective communication is emphasized.
Throughout the process of preparing the research report and the oral presentation, there were many opportunities where practicing proper communication within the group members prevented many possible problems and conflicts. Practicing good listening habits have helped me to better understand people I frequently engage with. These include my parents, my peers in Christian Fellowship and my church youths. A few months ago, there was a friend who wrote a letter to me instead of approaching to talk because he felt I was too assertive of my views and not listening to him. Things have changed now that I have learned to be sensitive and he is now willing to be sharing his life and problems with me again.

Besides communication skills, I am thankful for having the opportunity of writing my resume and application letter. Before this, I was still considering if teaching would be my future career. The process of writing out my experiences helped me to see how I have enjoyed mixing with students and how my skills are suited for the job. Hence, it became a confirmation for me.

To end off this post and this blog, I would like to emphasize my views from my first post. Now that we know the tips and theories, the road to an effective communicator is spelled out by two words - consistent effort. For myself, I foresee many opportunities to be putting in practice what I had learned. I hope my fellow classmates from group 7 benefited from this course as much as I did. It is a great bonus that this module does not have a final exam. All the best for your other modules!

4 comments:

Brandon said...

Hi Peng Siang, the road to becoming an effective communicator indeed takes a lot of effort and I believe that it is a lifelong journey. Apart from being more conscientious on our part, learning and evaluating others’ communication techniques, both effective and ineffective, would definitely help us become better communicators.

Writing the resume for this course has certainly aided in the reflection and internalisation of my own personalities and the soft and technical skills I posses. As you mentioned, this has also made me more convinced of my vocation.

Good luck for your exams and may you continue to make a difference in the lives of the youths in your church!

Chong Guan said...

Hi Peng Siang! I certainly agree with you that this module has improved our understanding of being an effective communicator. This includes being able to actively listen to other people when communicating with them. It is really true when you mentioned that consistent efforts are required to be able to communicate effectively. It is fortunate that you are able to find your interest in teaching which requires a lot of patience and understanding.

It is great having you as my classmate. All the best to the coming exams! Keep in touch!

Zhi Lian said...

Hi Peng Siang, it is good to have you as a classmate for this course. I agree with you that all of us have learnt about the various aspects of effective communication from this course and how we can apply them in different situations such as writing business correspondence, writing the survey report, doing up the E-portfolio, preparing for the oral presentation, etc. There will definitely be many chances for us to put into good use of what we have learnt from this module in the years to come as the communication culture is inevitable in our lives.

Like what you have mentioned, the area of job search communication is especially relevant and valuable for us because we are at the last boundary before stepping into society to work after we graduate. Being able to know and evaluate about oneself will surely be advantageous when we search for the most ideal job that can suit us best.

In summary, if everyone of us is able to devote consistent effort when we communicate with others, I guess life will be much simpler and more pleasant as there will be less communication breakdowns and problems. Hence, it should be every individual's responsibility to try to become an effective communicator as much as possible. There are no disadvantages to being one except that one must really have the heart to do it.

grace kim said...

Hi Peng Siang,

Thanks for your reflection. I especially like what you said about the need to consistently put in effort in order to be an effective communicator. How very true.

I'm glad that you're more certain about teaching as a career now. Am very sure you'll make a great teacher!

All the best in your journey towards communicating more effectively with your parents, church friends and your charges when you start teaching.